Tuesday, 23 March 2010

short paragraphs #1


Had an interview in London in the morning; bought a travelcard despite already being over budget for the week as I figured that one week over budget and a job is better than one week under budget and no job. Arrived in London earlier than planned so grabbed a £2 King Deal in BK and sat on a bench in Waterloo to eat it. Then walked to and along the river until I reached the bridge nearest the job; walked the rest of the way along back streets.

Several others were waiting for the interview, so I took a seat in the waiting area read the company literature. Eccentric lady called us all into a back room and began conducting a group interview - something I've not experienced before. Think it went well though, I was sitting in the middle and answered everything well because I had an opportunity to think of a response and listen to the others each time. Felt bad for the guy to my right because he had to go first from each time and his answers were weaker because of it.

Got called for an individual interview afterwards, asked a couple of questions, then was told that "a decision was being made about me now". This statement was accompanied by a frown, so I assumed I had been unsuccessful, but wasn't the case: trial shift was arranged for tomorrow. Unfortunately though, Friday was now triple-booked, meaning I had to decide how to go about resolving the situation. Pondered on the train home and sent a text and an email when I arrived; seems to have done the trick.


Had a miniature lay in today, then got up and got ready for my first shift at my weekend job (despite the fact it wasn't the weekend). Arrived early again, so sat on a bench with a Boots meal deal and a book. Received tour of the kiosk and the upstairs storeroom, as well as my uniform (apron and camp hat), a run down of the company policy and procedures and a heap of forms to fill in. Also received complementary coffee which was nice.

Shift went well, it was 5 hours which seems to be fairly typical, and as with my trial I had a go at everything. Learned how the machines worked, the difference between Espresso and Cappucino, how to make sweet and savoury food simultaneously, and had a chat with each of my co-workers. Good start, I felt. Met Mum and Bro after work for dinner in Nandos which was nice, then got some sweets and headed to the flat via local supermarket. Had some cider when we arrived, then watched TV for a while before bed.


Had bacon and egg scramble for breakfast, then went for a quick walk on the beach with the remote controlled quad bike. Bro had the control but hasn't yet grasped the concept of steering, so he chased the quad bike around 'til the battery died. Got in the car when this happened and drove into town. Brief shopping trip followed, we had 38 minutes on the parking meter which proved long enough to get a few things, then headed back to the car and to the next item on the day's agenda.

Arrived at the zoo around noon. Got in for £0 with annual passes which is always a touch, then walked "the usual" route. Passed tigers, monkeys, baboons and boars, stopped for pizza, then saw elephants and small cats before stopping at the swing park for a coffee and looping back up to the gift shop via the gorillas. Was fun as always, but especially so with Mum and Bro. Headed home via supermarket to grab ingredients for tonight's dinner party; sat in the car park for 20 minutes listening to Classic FM while Bro slept, then did an extremely brisk shop.

Had a bath when we got back to the flat, then started cooking. First time I've cooked for more than 4 (that I can recall) so it was a bit intense, but the meal turned out well. I made mild beef burritos with poutine, salad, and an optional chilli mix. Sharon and co arrived in the final stages of preperation, and Connie and Dan gave me a hand with the last bits.

Ate together, then Bro went to bed and the rest of us started a game of Blackjack. A Lindt Rabbit was the prize at stake and after a long game it went to Sharon. Blackjack was fun, as was the whole evening, but personally I prefer Poker! Sat at the table talking afterwards, then went to bed shortly after Sharon and co left.


Miniature lay in again, then started getting our stuff ready and locked up the flat before heading to Grandma's. Drive there took around an hour, during which time me and Mum spoke and listened to music. Bro was watching a DVD.

First time I'd seen Grandma's new house, and I liked it. Smaller than their old one but in a good way; more cosy and homely. Had usual lunch (salad, chips and other bits) and apple pie, then went for a walk on the beach. Threw stones at the water for a while then turned back when we started getting cold. Saw the garage and garden when we got back and discussed how they could be improved, then had a coffee and a chat before leaving to go home. Michael gave me a couple of pairs of shoes which he doesn't wear any more, which was nice!

Drive home fairly uneventful. Got in and had bath, then got ready for curry at Uncle's. Mum and Bro dropped me off and stayed briefly, then played Wii with Uncle and cousin before eating Uncle's home made curry (with real panir cheese!). Cousin went to bed shortly after, then me and Uncle spent the evening talking, drinking and playing various video games. Ended up staying the night.

It was a good end to a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment